The Litigation/Appellate Strategy & Advocacy Group at Shaub, Ahmuty, Citrin & Spratt, LLP is led by its Chair, Christopher Simone. Over the past two decades, our team has established an unrivalled reputation as the go-to resource for excess insurers and private clients in catastrophic personal injury, property claims, subrogation, and more, and is considered the last word on all aspects of New York damages.
New York & National Practice Program. Our 20+ lawyer team provides value at all stages in the litigation life cycle. Our support helps trial defense teams focus on what they do best; our experience positions clients for success in both the trial and appellate courts; and our unparalleled analysis of the New York risk landscape assists clients, carriers, claims professionals and defense attorneys in reaching savvy and informed decisions on individual cases, claim catalogues, and best practices. We are also routinely retained by clients to confront novel, thorny and high-exposure national issues, and are asked to monitor, consult and assist in many state and federal jurisdictions as part of our national practice program.
Litigation Strategy. The key to prevailing in high-stakes disputes: an unvarnished analysis of the risk. We begin by performing the critical reconnaissance, evaluating the legal issues, liability and damages exposure and all potential arguments, from the outset of an action through appeal. We perform these formal and informal liability and sustainable damages evaluations for clients on a near-weekly basis. As the matter progresses, we work closely with trial counsel and clients to develop cost-effective strategies that position matters for favorable resolution.
Motions & Appeals. We frequently intervene early in cases to help our clients curtail protracted litigation and associated costs through dispositive motions, such as motions to dismiss and motions for summary judgment. As a recognized leader in complex litigation, we also are called upon when clients face novel, complex or sensitive issues.
We participate in all phases of the appellate process and are familiar with and understand the complex issues and concerns that motivate trial and appellate judges, which enables us to consistently produce winning briefs and oral arguments. Our unrivaled twenty-five year track record spanning thousands of appeals and motions in New York and countrywide speaks for itself. We also represent clients in the submission of amicus curiae briefs for cases with far-reaching precedential significance.
Trial Monitoring. We take pride in working seamlessly with many of the country’s leading trial defense teams. We have monitored nearly 1,000 trials, more than any other firm in New York or nationally - our attorneys have real-world courtroom experience that complements their academic and appellate acumen. We support trial teams as a liaison, a reporting aid and a failsafe, devoting meticulous attention to the preservation of record and case issues. Many leading national defense teams specifically ask for or endorse our group’s retention specifically because of our ability to add tremendous value without disrupting or undermining the trial presentation.
Data Analytics. Our commitment to being a litigation value-add extends beyond the traditional legal practice. Over the past two decades, our team has honed an unparalleled knowledge on the risk landscape in New York and elsewhere through the collection and analysis of trial data. We monitor, synthesize and share data analytics on damages, defense tactics, and litigation trends with clients, the industry, municipalities, and the bar.
Thought Leaders. We are committed to fostering industry-wide tort reform through widely published and disseminated articles, presentations, and industry seminars focusing on hot button issues such as improper summation tactics, controlling tort damages, social media discovery, and litigation lending practices. We believe that we can better protect our clients in individual cases by eliminating improper and inefficient practices that negatively impact all litigants. While we obviously strive to win individual battles for our clients, our ultimate mission is to better serve them by winning the war. In fact, it's not just our mission, we consider it our obligation.
To learn more about our findings, review some of our work here or contact our practice chair Christopher Simone today.
- Appellate Team Victorious in Upholding Affirminance of an Order Granting Defendants' Motion to Compel03.24.2022
- Appellate Group Obtains Important Affirmance in Personal Injury Litigation Arising Out of a 2017 Terrorist Attack in Manhattan06.04.2021
- Appellate Group Obtained Summary Judgment In Negligence Action Involving Plaintiff Who Fell Into Blades of an Operating Thatcher06.02.2021
- The SACS Litigation/Appellate Strategy & Advocacy Group at the Forefront in Eliminating Non-Viable Causes of Action in CVA Cases04.30.2021
- Starting off November with a Significant Win In The Second Circuit Court of Appeals to Protect Our Clients11.05.2020
- SACS Appellate Group Wins In First Department, Obtaining Leave To Assert Collateral Estoppel Defense Prior To Trial10.22.2020
- Litigation/Appellate Strategy & Advocacy Group Obtained Reversal in Order Dismissing Our Client's Claims in a Third-Party Products Liability Action Arising From an Elevator Accident10.07.2020
- Litigation/Appellate Strategy & Advocacy Group Attorneys Partake in National General Counsel Conference Webinar09.21.2020
- Second Department Upholds SACS Defense Verdict In Medical Malpractice Action Alleging Negligent Lung Puncture During Cortisone Injection08.12.2020
- SACS Appellate Group Prevails: Second Department Reverses Lower Court, Granting Summary Judgment To Medical Malpractice Defendants07.23.2020
- SACS Appellate Group Prevails in New Jersey Appellate Division on Behalf of Municipality in Horrific Murder-Assault Case03.23.2020
- SACS Appellate Group Wins Affirmance of Order Dismissing Indemnification Claims Arising From Crane Collapse10.08.2019
- SACS Appellate Group Wins Major Victory: Unanimous Reversal of Summary Judgment Against Client in 4-Story Elevator Fall Involving 15 Injured Workers05.16.2019
- SACS Appellate Group Prevails In Appellate Division, First Department on Basis of Waiver of Subrogation and Antisubrogation04.18.2019
- SACS Appellate Group Prevails On Declaratory Judgment Coverage Appeal in First Department Involving Dispute Over Application Of Burlington Decision03.27.2019
- SACS Appellate Group Obtains Significant Remittitur In Spinal Fusion/CRPS Case in Appellate Division, Second Department08.15.2018
- SACS Appellate Group Prevails on Summary Judgment In Three Catastrophic Injury and Wrongful Death Cases In Two Weeks07.27.2018
- SACS Appellate Group Rebuffs Co-Defendants' Efforts to Transform a Security Contract into an Insurance Contract01.25.2018
- Another Excellent Result On Summary Judgment In A High-Profile/High-Exposure Litigation for the SACS Appellate Group01.18.2018
- Inefficiency in the Courthouse: The Nonsense in Withholding Settlement Amounts from Non-Settling Tortfeasors07.16.2021
- Making a Federal Case Out of It: The Perils, Pitfalls, and Protections for Mandated Reporters of Suspected Child Abuse07.08.2021
- The Punitive 'Failure To Take Responsibility' Trope Must Be Entirely Policed Out of Tort Actions for Compensatory Damages11.13.2020
- Ahead to the Past (Part III of III): The Evolution of New Rules of Engagement in the Age of Social Inflation and Nuclear Verdicts07.27.2020
- Ahead to the Past (Part II of III): The Evolution of New Rules of Engagement in the Age of Social Inflation and Nuclear Verdicts07.20.2020
- Ahead to the Past: The Evolution of New Rules of Engagement in the Age of Social Inflation and Nuclear Verdicts07.13.2020
- Improper Summation Anchoring is Turning the New York Court System on its Head and Contributing to the Demise of New York State04.28.2020
- Examination of Plaintiffs by Vocational Rehablitation Experts; Outside Counsel; The Court Of Appeals' Recent Holding In Smith Barney02.18.1998
Areas Of Concentration
- Catastrophic Personal Injury
- Commercial Litigation
- Court of Appeals
- Damages Mitigation
- Dispositive Motions
- Employment Law & Litigation
- Insurance Coverage
- Labor Law
- Mass Tort
- Municipal Liability/1983 Litigation
- National Practice
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Professional Liability
- Property Damage
- Subrogation and Insurance Recovery
- Toxic Tort