Jonathan provides practical counsel to excess insurance carriers and other clients facing complex and high-stakes litigation. A member of the firm’s Litigation/Appellate Strategy & Advocacy Group, his practice ranges from successfully briefing and arguing appeals to drafting petitions for discretionary review to advising clients on appellate strategy. A substantial portion of his work involves assisting outside firms in developing litigation strategy, drafting and arguing dispositive motions, motions in limine, post-trial motions, and monitoring trial.
Jonathan frequently handles litigation in state and federal court on a variety of matters, including general commercial litigation, excess casualty, construction defect, professional liability, product liability, insurance recovery, insurance coverage, mass torts, and punitive damages. He has scored victories on behalf of his clients in matters involving commercial disputes, New York’s Labor Law, complex choice of law issues, punitive damages, discovery sanctions, governmental immunity, and rules of procedure.
Clients benefit from the experience Jonathan collected before joining the firm. After law school, he served as a clerk at the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, where he saw firsthand the inner-workings of the Court – and the arguments that succeeded.
He entered private practice as an associate at Proskauer Rose, where he handled antitrust, white-collar defense and general commercial litigation matters.Along with colleagues in the Litigation/Appellate Strategy & Advocacy practice, Jonathan studies results and trends in New York litigation, and interprets these findings to help excess insurers craft defensive strategies. His analysis has been published in The New York Law Journal.
Honors & Recognitions
Received Proskauer’s Golden Gavel award for his work representing an individual on death row
- SACS Appellate Group Prevails: First Department Reverses Lower Court’s Order Granting Plaintiff Summary Judgment On His Labor Law §240(1) Claim12.17.2020
- Litigation/Appellate Strategy & Advocacy Group Obtained Reversal in Order Dismissing Our Client's Claims in a Third-Party Products Liability Action Arising From an Elevator Accident10.07.2020
- Litigation/Appellate Strategy & Advocacy Group Attorneys Partake in National General Counsel Conference Webinar09.21.2020
- SACS Appellate Group Prevails in New Jersey Appellate Division on Behalf of Municipality in Horrific Murder-Assault Case03.23.2020
- SACS Appellate Group Wins Affirmance of Order Dismissing Indemnification Claims Arising From Crane Collapse10.08.2019
- SACS Appellate Group Wins Major Victory: Unanimous Reversal of Summary Judgment Against Client in 4-Story Elevator Fall Involving 15 Injured Workers05.16.2019
- SACS Appellate Group Rebuffs Co-Defendants' Efforts to Transform a Security Contract into an Insurance Contract01.25.2018
- The Punitive 'Failure To Take Responsibility' Trope Must Be Entirely Policed Out of Tort Actions for Compensatory Damages11.13.2020
- Ahead to the Past (Part III of III): The Evolution of New Rules of Engagement in the Age of Social Inflation and Nuclear Verdicts07.27.2020
- Ahead to the Past (Part II of III): The Evolution of New Rules of Engagement in the Age of Social Inflation and Nuclear Verdicts07.20.2020
- Ahead to the Past: The Evolution of New Rules of Engagement in the Age of Social Inflation and Nuclear Verdicts07.13.2020
- Improper Summation Anchoring is Turning the New York Court System on its Head and Contributing to the Demise of New York State04.28.2020
The George Washington University Law School, J.D., 2010
- With “high honors”
Vanderbilt University, B.A., 2007
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York