For more than 25 years, clients have relied on Robert M. Ortiz to provide guidance and strategic advice as litigation and appellate counsel. He aggressively advocates on behalf of clients from case inception through securing a resolution that achieves their desired result.
Frequently representing clients in high exposure and complex cases, Rob works side-by-side with trial counsel through every stage of litigation. He is adept at solving problems that arise and identifying key legal issues critical to post trial motion practice and appeal.
Rob works to protect the appellate record through the drafting and arguing of substantive applications in limine, motions for directed verdicts, requests to charge and jury interrogatories. Clients benefit from his background handling litigation of general casualty claims and appellate advocacy which enables him to work with efficiency and accuracy when time is of the essence.
In addition to his appellate and litigation strategy practice, Rob leads the firm group handling complex litigation dealing with decades-old claims filed under the CVA. He applies his over two decades of experience as appellate counsel to focus these claims and preserve the record to ensure the correct legal issues can be raised to facilitate resolution.
Rob has presented Continuing Legal Education lectures on Appellate Advocacy and previously served as an Adjunct Professor for the State University New York at Stony Brook, Political Science Department.
Honors & Recognitions
Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™
Thomson Reuters, Super Lawyers®
- New York Metro: 2015 – 2023
Top Attorneys New York Metro Area, 2018
- Shaub Ahmuty Citrin & Spratt Attorneys Named to 2023 New York Metro Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists10.10.2023
- The SACS Litigation/Appellate Strategy & Advocacy Group at the Forefront in Eliminating Non-Viable Causes of Action in CVA Cases04.30.2021
St. John’s University School of Law, J.D., 1995
State University of New York at Stony Brook, B.A., 1991
- New York, 1996
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, 1996
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York, 1996
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey, 1995
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit, 1999
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 2002
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces, 2002
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 2002
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2002