Christopher Theobalt prides himself on applying his appellate expertise to all stages of the litigation process. His ability to examine a case from an appellate point of view allows him to provide valuable legal counsel from the outset, not just at the appeal stage. He routinely attends and monitors New York State and federal court trials and frequently handles the post-trial motions and appeals in these cases. To this end, Christopher excels at collaborating with defense counsel at all stages of litigation – be it during discovery, at the summary judgment stage, during a mediation or at trial.
Christopher also appreciates the value of communication with his clients. Though his practice requires a command of the often tangled web of appellate jurisprudence, Christopher is adept at distilling these technical legal issues into comprehendible legal counsel – whether it be in the form of a written evaluation or a telephone call. Christopher is always available for his clients, especially when they urgently require his counsel, such as during a trial or mediation. He makes it a priority to keep them apprised of any developments in their cases and does so in an affable but professional manner.
Christopher has handled virtually all steps of the litigation process. As appellate counsel to a prominent entertainment company, he attended and monitored a highly-publicized five-week trial in New York County Supreme Court involving a brain-injured plaintiff that culminated in a nine-figure jury award. Applying his first-hand knowledge of the trial and his appellate expertise, Christopher filed a post-trial motion for a substantial reduction of the jury’s runaway verdict. In a separate brain injury case, Christopher drafted a motion in limine to preclude a still-employed and high-earning plaintiff’s substantial claim for future lost earnings based on what she could have earned had she not been injured. He successfully precluded what would have been an entirely new theory of damages in New York and the case subsequently settled for a fraction of plaintiff’s initial demand.
In addition to his appellate and litigation strategy practice, Christopher also works on civil rights cases and commercial disputes.
- Litigation/Appellate Strategy & Advocacy Group Obtained Reversal in Order Dismissing Our Client's Claims in a Third-Party Products Liability Action Arising From an Elevator Accident10.07.2020
- SACS Appellate Group Prevails in New Jersey Appellate Division on Behalf of Municipality in Horrific Murder-Assault Case03.23.2020
- In Appeal From $20.75MM Judgment, SACS Appellate Group Obtains New Trial On Liability & Huge Reduction In Damages Verdict to $2.33MM02.19.2020
- SACS Appellate Group Wins Another Dismissal of Catastrophic Injury Complaint On Summary Judgment In Difficult Venue09.13.2018
- SACS Appellate Group Obtains Summary Judgment Dismissing Complaint In Wrongful Death and Catastrophic Personal Injury Claim08.02.2018
- SACS Appellate Group Prevails on Summary Judgment In Three Catastrophic Injury and Wrongful Death Cases In Two Weeks07.27.2018
Fordham University School of Law, J.D., 2016
College of the Holy Cross, B.A., 2013
- New York, 2017